Monday, November 16, 2009

I've Heard About Beating a Dead Horse, But Beating a Dead Human?? C'mon, Now!!


I often host visiting pharmacy students from other countries. I quickly learned how idiomatic the English language can be. For example, after making the same point several times, I said "I feel like I am beating a dead horse." Imagine the looks I got when the group took me literally.
Well, here is a story where the horse wasn't a horse, but instead a human. And it was not just a silly slang expression.
It seems that in Uganda, people have died from drinking illegally manufacturered gin. As though the loss of life wasn't indigent enough, the government suggests that the bodies be beaten with a stick. Why? To find out, read the full Associated Press story here:
Note the unusual ending paragraph: "In Uganda, the bodies of those who commit suicide are also caned as a form of dishonor and to warn against such behavior for the living."
I thought they were going to assert that the caning is a deterrent for the deceased to think twice before they kill themselves in the next life."

No comments:

Post a Comment