Tuesday, September 1, 2009

We Couldn't Have Made This Up, Even if We Wanted to


Every so often we get feedback from current or former students about specific incidences that happen in their practices that illustrate what we are trying to accomplish in class. Here's an unsolicited communication that makes me want to jump up and down with unbridled joy!! (Okay, that visual is a little over-the-top!). It's from 4PD student John Sheehan (before haircut) who sat right where you are sitting in PTX IV one year ago. Oh, he is also the guy in some of the videos on our ELS site.




Professors Munyer and Doering,

I wanted to write the two of you to let you know about something that happened to me today. I started my community practice rotation at the Walgreens in Jonesville, and sometime this afternoon a lady came up to the counter with a question. She was holding two different OTC
products for the treatment of a vaginal yeast infection and wanted to know the difference between the two and which I would recommend.

The interesting thing about this is that I was called on during the feminine issues self care last year and had to field a similar question in front of 130 people. That experience definitely made the patient encounter today a piece of cake. I just wanted to let both of you know that my experiences last year have definitely improved my patient interaction skills. Please feel free to share this anecdote with the current class. Hopefully it will help them realize that the scenarios we go through in class are very much like the situations that come up in practice and that being called on isn't a form of torture, but a very valuable learning experience.

Much thanks to both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment