Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Vicodin Song

I like music of all types, ranging from oldies to rock to (some) hip-hop, etc. Last Spring I was asked to put together a presentation for the students on the main campus talking about how song lyrics often contain subtle or overt references to drugs of abuse. Someday, I'll share that presenation with you all. Recently, though, I came across the video below called "The Vicodin Song."

The refrain of the song goes something like this: "i've got vicodin, do you want to come over, i know it's a long drive from malibu, i got a pocket full of pills..." The artist, Terra Naomi has a nice voice, but the song is best described as "maudlin." Take a look:




Some of you may know music, especially drug-tinged music, much better than me, but I find these songs to be very depressing. Then again, struggling with chemical dependence is depressing in and of itself. Check out this video by The Verve called "The Drugs Don't Work." released in September of 1997. Some say its in reference to the signer's father who became tolerant to his chemo and pain regimen. Click here to decide for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4XCGeckA-E

2 comments:

  1. This song is so disturbing!! I think it's scary that drug abuse has become so mainstream...look at the show House...the main character on there abuses vicodin too, like it's no big deal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though the names and faces may have changed (and the popularity of specific chemicals) Rx drug use/abuse in the mainstream is not an entirely new problem. The Rolling Stones released a great, sardonic song on this topic way back in the dionsaur era of 1966:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cfQ4O7FSH8

    That Terra Naomi song is indeed maudlin, but I don't think it's celebratory. I think she's presenting a criticism of the lifestyle, just like the Stones were. Whether it's a sincere criticism or not is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete