Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pharmacy School Sucks


When I was coming along, if I used the phrase "that sucks" I would have had my mouth instantly washed out with soap. You see, in those days, the meaning of this phrase was quite literal.

Over the years, the expression has morphed into a much broader meaning, indicating that something is bad, disturbing, upsetting, etc. In fact, it is a modern day form of empathy. I have always teased with Dr. Kimberlin that she ought to teach this term. Thus, when somebody tells you bad news, instead of saying, "That must be frustrating" you can simply say "That Sucks!!" Or if someone is in dire straights (the condition and not the band) you can say, "it must suck to be you."

I was startled to see a commercial on TV in which "The 'S' word" was said out loud for all to hear. I must tell you, I winced when I heard it. But you know what? Sometimes things do suck. Even pharmacy school. But as badly as things might suck, there is always an answer, and many times that answer lies in the drugs we dispense (and sometimes take ourselves).

I hope you like this little parody.


No comments:

Post a Comment