Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tips From Doering's Drug Information Tool Box


For over 28 years I served as either Director or Co-Director of the Drug Information and Pharmacy Resource Center. This center, established in February of 1972, has answered countless questions from Health Professionals around the state and around the nation.
Throughout this time I have learned a lot of what could be called "tricks of the trade" to make the job of answering tough questions easier.
I would be dishonest if I said I don't miss those times, talking with fellow pharmacists from all corners of our state and helping them solve patient-specific questions arising in their practices. I dearly miss talking with nurses, physicians, dentists, and virtually all other types of Health Professionals.
You have heard me many times confess that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I have learned how to find answers to even the most difficult questions. Thus, I am starting this new feature called "Tips From Doering's Drug Information Tool Box." Here is the first installment:
Black Box Warnings: What is their purpose? Who decides what goes in there? And most important, where can I find a comprehensive list of Black Box Warnings?
I'm going to let you struggle with the first two questions, but I suggest you check out the following web site for a list of the latest warnings. As you may know, increasingly the FDA is using this mechanism to convey important safety information about drugs. BBW's are a BIG DEAL. Check the out here:

No comments:

Post a Comment